Monday, January 30, 2012

$6

His name was "Mike"
Standing outside the mall entrance.
Kids and I tried to hurry inside
before he asked if I had some spare change
Said he was hungry
I told him I didn't carry cash
and hurried the children through the mall entrance
I stopped
Looked back
"What's wrong mommy?"
"The man is hungry"
I told the children to wait as I walked back outside
I walked up to him
I told him I didn't carry cash
but I had no problem buying him lunch.
He thanked me, and we both walked inside
We exchanged names, handshakes and smiles.
I told him to get whatever he wanted.
Pizza
and a drink
We all sat together and talked.
He lost his job
And desperately looking for a new one
Has a kid back in Arizona
He's just a kid himself he seems
He's fairly new to the area.
Not sure where to go
Gave him suggestions and my number
He finished his meal
much faster than we did.
He must have been starving.
He thanks me again for the meal
and the company
and the help
He's so polite
and well-mannered.
The kids and I wish him luck.
It was only $6
...but the feeling
of helping another
in a way I had never
done before ~
was priceless

1 comment: